Our family LOVES dinner out at a Japanese steak house. And I have to admit, I love watching the hibachi cook. One of these days I’m goig to install a hibachi grill in my kitchen. One of these days. The fried rice is one of my favorite parts of the meal. I’ve tried to make it at home, and mine just doesn’t turn out like theirs does, and it is super unhealthy with the amount of butter and starches and salt. However, I have been able to perfect a lighter version that I refer to as Healthy-ish Fried Rice.
One of the ways I cut out a lot of simple carbs is to use half brown rice and half cauliflower rice. I buy the packaged frozen brown rice and the organic riced cauliflower at Trader Joe’s. Another fat-cutting trick is to use coconut oil instead of butter. To cut salt, I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos instead of straight soy sauce. Same taste, but a lot less salt.
Until the day comes that a hibachi grill is installed in my kitchen, I use my cast iron skillet to make Healthy-ish Fried Rice. I can get it super hot, and the coconut oil melts like a dream in it.
You can serve this dish in place of most any starch. I sometimes add chicken or shrimp to make it a one-dish meal. It is also good with a piece of grilled chicken. Most of the time, though, we eat it as a side dish to salmon. Super healthy meal that is also super delicious! If you, like me, can’t stand the thought of giving up the yum-yum sauce, don’t fret. I have that recipe for you, too.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I use one package of frozen Trader Joe's brown rice.)
- 1 package Trader Joe's organic riced cauliflower (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- Salt to taste
- Heat coconut oil in wok, electric skillet, or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add red bell pepper and green onion. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add brown rice and cauliflower, stirring well to coat in coconut oil. Continue stirring for about 3-5 minutes while rice and cauliflower cook through.
- Add Braggs liquid aminos and stir to coat rice mixture.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite fish or chicken.
This post contains affiliate links to help pay for expenses so that our recipes remain FREE to you. Thank you!