Rosemary is one of the loveliest herbs God ever created. It is super easy to grow (I have two pots on my back deck that keep us supplied), and its fresh fragrance lends just the perfect taste to starches and chicken. My Lemon Rosemary Chicken combines rosemary with both potatoes and chicken, and it has become a favorite dish around here. I prepare it similarly to my Greek Chicken Pot, but the flavors in the two dishes are quite distinct.
Your first step is to preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
In a mason jar or small bowl, combine three tablespoons of olive oil, the juice of two lemons, a jar of capers (drained), two teaspoons of kosher salt, one teaspoon of black pepper (fresh ground if you can), and a teaspoon of onion powder. Shake or stir well to allow flavors to meld.
In a large plastic zipper bag (gallon or larger), place chicken, potatoes (Cut into chunks if you prefer smaller pieces like I do), a cup of baby carrots, the sliced lemon, and the leaves from about 6 sprigs of rosemary. Pour dressing mixture into bag, and toss well to coat all pieces. It goes without saying that you should be sure the plastic bag is zipped tightly. Accidents can occur. And your children will laugh at you. Don’t ask me how I know. Place mixture into dutch oven, baking dish, or roasting pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and bake for about an hour.
Lemon Rosemary Chicken is such a hearty dish that you won’t need else, perhaps a simple side salad and a loaf of crusty french bread. The simplicity and flavor os this dish makes it perfect for week nights, Sunday lunch, or a casual dinner with friends.
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 red potatoes, washed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 lemon, sliced, plus juice of two additional lemons
- 1 jar capers (3.5 oz), drained
- Leaves of 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, combine olive oil, juice of two lemons, capers, garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix well.
- In a large plastic zipper bag, place chicken, rosemary leaves, carrots, potatoes, and lemon slices. Shake or stir olive oil mixture once again, and pour into plastic bag. Close bag tightly and toss well to coat all ingredients with olive oil mixture. Be especially careful to mix around rosemary leaves, as they have a tendency to clump together.
- Pour bag mixture into dutch oven or baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and bake in 325 degree oven for an hour.
- Stir to coat with juices before serving.
- This meal is delicious with a simple salad and french bread.