We have had some COLD weather in Alabama lately. Mind you, “cold” might not mean the same thing to Alabamians as it does to people north of the Mason-Dixon line, but when temperatures dipped into the single digits last week, we were scratching around the kitchen for something that would take the chill out of our bones. A big pot of Chicken Noodle Soup hit the spot!
I love to make Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch because it tastes so much better than any canned or frozen variety I’ve ever tried. It’s not a hard dish to prepare, and your family will love you for making it. The most time-consuming part is cooking the chicken. I cook mine in the crockpot overnight and make my soup the next day. You can, however, boil your chicken on the stove with the celery and onion listed in the recipe, and it will be fine.
Once the chicken is prepared, I use the fresh broth as the base of my soup. I do add additional chicken stock as needed, as well as carrots, celery, green beans, and corn. These make the Chicken Noodle Soup hearty, while maintaining the light, healthiness of it.
Chicken Noodle Soup is a fantastic dish to make for your family or to take to a friend. We have had a terrible flu season around here, so I keep this recipe close at hand so I can share a pot full with friends who aren’t feeling well. When you feel badly, nothing makes you feel better than a nap and a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Can use bone in breasts as well)
- 2 cartons chicken stock
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 onion
- 1 package egg noodles
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Cut 3 stalks celery into 2" pieces. Quarter onion. Place celery and onion in crockpot. Add chicken breasts. Fill with water until chicken is covered. Cook on low 8 hours.
- In dutch oven over medium heat, add 6 cups of chicken broth from crockpot. Remove chicken from crockpot, cut into chunks, and add to dutch oven. Dice remaining stalk of celery and add to pot. Add in carrots, green beans, corn, salt, pepper, and parsley. Bring to boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add in one carton of chicken stock and egg noodles, and continue boiling for about 15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add in the other carton of chicken stock if needed.